Blakemore & Mitsuki (hereinafter the "Firm") recognizes its social responsibilities to appropriately handle personal information (as defined in Article 2, Paragraph 1 of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information) that the Firm, its attorneys or staff receive from its clients, applicant visitors, or other persons (hereinafter the "Personal Information").
1. Basic Principles
- The Firm shall observe applicable laws and regulations regarding the handling of Personal Information.
- The Firm shall acquire Personal Information in an appropriate manner.
- Except for where otherwise required by law or regulation, the Firm shall, upon providing notice or publicizing the purpose for use of Personal Information, use the Personal Information within the scope of such purpose of use.
- The Firm shall train its attorneys and staff to understand the importance of protecting Personal Information and to handle Personal Information appropriately.
- Except for where otherwise required by law or regulation, the Firm shall not disclose Personal Information to a third party without the prior consent of the person to whom such Personal Information pertains.
- The Firm shall establish necessary and appropriate security measures and manage Personal Information appropriately, in order to avoid unauthorized access to Personal Information and loss, falsification, and divulging of Personal Information.
- In the event that the Firm entrusts the handling of Personal Information to a third party, the Firm shall appropriately monitor such party to ensure the secure management of Personal Information by such party.
- The Firm shall prescribe procedures regarding the disclosure and revision, etc., of Personal Information.
- The Firm shall accept comments and inquiries relating to the handling of Personal Information.
- The Firm shall continuously review the management systems and initiatives for protection of Personal Information, and shall endeavor to make improvements thereupon.
2. Purpose of Use
The Firm is to use Personal Information within the necessary scope, to achieve each of the following:
Personal Information that is obtained based on an activity for recruitment of attorneys and staff shall be used solely for the activity for recruitment of attorneys and staff and for no other purpose.
- Execution of legal services and communication for execution of those services;
- Providing information of any study group meetings, lectures, seminars given by our Firm's attorneys, or any publications, essays or other published materials by our Firm's attorneys;
- Sending greeting cards (including by e-mail);
- Activities for recruitment of attorneys and staff;
- Other purposes ancillary to the above purposes.
3. Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
The Firm is not to disclose Personal Information to any third party, but this shall exclude the case where the consent of the individual owning such Personal Information has been obtained in advance or a case where such disclosure is required by law or regulation.
4. Management of Personal Information
The Firm is to establish necessary and appropriate measures, and is to manage Personal Information appropriately, in order to avoid unauthorized access to Personal Information and loss, falsification, and divulging of Personal Information.
5. Entrustment of Handling Personal Information
In the event that the Firm entrusts the handling of Personal Information to a third party in relation to any outsourcing of a service (hereinafter the "Contractor"), the Firm shall use a Contractor selected pursuant to the standards prescribed by the Firm.
The Firm shall enter into a nondisclosure agreement with the Contractor, and shall supervise the Contractor properly to ensure that the Contractor shall not use Personal Information for a purpose other than the intended purpose of use, and that there shall be no loss, falsification, or divulging of Personal Information on the part of the Contractor.
There may be instances where the Firm entrusts the handling of Personal Information to third parties in relation to the following matters:
- Matters for mailing greetings, etc.; and
- Matters relating to the operation and maintenance of information systems.
6. Disclosure, Etc. of Personal Information
If you wish any disclosure, revision, addition, deletion, suspension of use, erasure, or suspension of provision to third parties, etc., regarding Personal Information, please refer to the contact set forth in Section 7 below. The firm will inform you of the necessary procedures.
7. Contacting the Firm
For questions, complaints and other inquiries regarding our handling of Personal Information, please contact us at the following:
8. Joint Use of Personal Information
The Firm does not jointly use Personal Information pursuant to Article 23, Paragraph 5, Item 3 of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information.